Jewell, GA – Rock Mill Methodist Church, built c1841-1845, is just over a mile from its original location. The church originally stood on a 3 acre tract donated by William Shivers, owner of Rock Mill Plantation (which still stands) and one of the first settlers in the area.
In 1894, the church was moved to its current location in the Jewell Community, across from the Baptist Church. Membership dwindled over the years, but the church stayed open.
Jewell is one special community, and we visited it quite some time ago. There are several beautiful homes to see – link to it below:
Interestingly, the owners of Rock Mill Plantation purchased the church in 2002 and it’s been fully restored!
Thanks for taking a look at this beautiful antebellum church, and the community of Jewell! Appreciate it!