McRae-Helena, Telfair County – The Max and Emma Sue McRae House (1897) is a perfect home to share on Flag Day! Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, this Classic Revival home was built as a wedding present.
The house is unusual – while it looks like it would be a symmetrical layout inside, it’s not. The interior is more Victorian/Queen Anne style. Looking at some of the NRHP photos for this home, it has some interesting details.
The city of McRae is named for a Scottish pioneer family. It’s sister city, Helena, existed separately for over a century. The two cities consolidated in 2015 to form McRae-Helena. This was the first time two cities consolidated in Georgia since 1921.
Max McRae was a lawyer, and was elected to the Georgia Legislature at the age of 23! Throughout his life, he held a variety of public service roles – Mayor of McRae, state highway commissioner, judge, draft board, etc. Not only that, but he also had business interests that included the Empire Cottonseed Plan, a wholesale grocery, a peach distribution company, an insurance company, and several farms. What an interesting life the McRaes must have led!
Emma Sue Griffith, born in Virginia, was raised by her Uncle – Charles Benton Parker. Park was a prominent citizen, who founded the first bank in town, had a naval stores business, and owned a large plantation called Long View.
The framing of this house was cut from Long View Plantation. Parker had this house built as a wedding present for Emma Sue and Max in 1897. Quite a wedding present!
This magnificent home has been altered very little over the years and is one of several beautiful homes in McRae. Thanks so much for reading the blog, appreciate it!