Atlanta, Georgia – Fulton County – Located on West Paces Ferry Road, Nestledown has distinguished neighbors, including the Governors Mansion across the street. Built in 1932, this home has an interesting history!
The house was built for Mrs. George Arthur Howell, Jr – a recent widow. Her husband had been owner of a prominent Real Estate and Insurance Agency, as well as Creomulsion Company (cough syrup maker), and a Secretary of Atlantic Steel Company.
Katherine Mitchell Howell hired Cooper & Cooper architects to design this neoclassical revival mansion. Interestingly, after getting the contract for the house, one of the Coopers married her oldest daughter!
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, we are able to get a look at the floorplan and peek inside this mansion (B&W photos from NRHP Listing, 1990).
Originally 15 rooms, there was an addition made to the rear of the house in the 1960s to add the Family Room and upstairs bedroom.
The Foyer area of this home shows off its opulence. A custom oval rug was made for this area.
Mrs. Howell continued to be active in the family business interests and lived at Nestledown for about 10 years before selling it and moving to Peachtree Street.
The house has had a succession of owners over the years, and later owners of the house have named it “Nestledown” – plaque on the driveway gates:
A quick video view of Nestledown. It sits back a ways from busy West Paces Ferry Road.
That’s a quick history of this interesting home! Thanks so much for reading the blog, appreciate it.