Davis-Edwards House, circa 1845 – Monroe

Monroe, GA – Walton County – Originally built in the 1830s, the Davis-Edwards House is one of the oldest houses in Walton County.  Situated along busy North Broad Street, this house was occupied by just 2 families over a 125 year period.  Interesting history here, read on for more info and photos.

Originally built 1830-35 in the Federal style, the house was extensively renovated to the Greek Revival style around 1845 by Josiah Clark.  Clark was a builder and it’s thought that he changed the home to its current appearance at that time.

 

The house is L-shaped, with 3 rooms over 3 rooms.  The rooms are large in here, around 17 X 17 feet with a center hallway.  See that back room with chimney?  At one time there was a staircase from the first floor to the second floor – and it was the only way to access the upstairs room!  This was changed in later remodeling of the house.

Rear of house

The Davis Years

The Davis family lived here from 1846-1883.  Charles D Davis, a lawyer and Georgia politician, bought the house and 34 acres in 1846.  He married Mary Patillo and they raised 4 children here.  When we look at the Davis-Edwards house today, it’s been restored to reflect the Davis years.

Center Hallway and stairs
Stairway, 1971 (NRHP Photo)

The Edwards Years

In 1883, John Prior Edwards bought the house and 5 acres.  Descendants of John Edwards lived in the house until 1969!  There were several additions and remodeling thought to have taken place in the 1880s.  One thing that changed was the front porch.  The first floor of the porch was extended across the entire front of the house.  We have a 1936 Photo of the house that shows the porch.

1936 Photo (Library of Congress)

 

The house changed hands again and was deeded to the Historical Society of Walton County in 1972.  There was a lot of work to be done at that time!  The next couple of photos give us a peek inside, back in 1971.

1971 Photo – see that first floor porch? It will be changed.
Inside the house is not elaborate – this ceiling medallion is the only one in the house
Mantel Detail (NRHP)

The Historical Society worked tirelessly to repair and renovate the house, completing the work in 1976. One very visible change?  The porch was restored back to its Greek Revival appearance.   Old houses always need maintenance, and there’s always more work to be done!  The house is open 10:00AM-2:00PM the 1st and 3rd Saturday during summer months. Group tours can be booked as well by contacting the Historical Society of Walton County.

 

Thanks so much for reading the blog, I appreciate it!